As you all know, I am a simple, God Loving, Wife Fearing, Middle Class Indian. I must say, after this Anna Phenomenon, and Media saying that it’s all because of the Great Indian Middle Class, I am more than proud to belong to this class. Other wise, after buying a 1 ½ BHK, carpet area of 480 sq ft, with borrowed money, in Mumbai suburbs, I had started thinking that I had moved up a notch.Tweet
The recent furor over corruption always made me wonder–When it comes to corruption, why we only talk about the public servants? Are they the only ones who could be corrupt , no one else?
Well, this made me do what any average middle class, internet accessing Indian would do, Google “What is corruption?”.
And these were the results –
Dishonest or fraudulent conduct by those in power, typically involving bribery . Lack of integrity or honesty (especially susceptibility to bribery); use of a position of trust for dishonest gain.
Then I also checked “What is bribe?” –
Money or any other valuable consideration given or promised with a view to persuade or induce the behavior of person.
Now that I knew what corruption and bribe were, I was clear that Team Anna is in the right direction -Average Indian Middle Class can’t be corrupt.
I was about to switch-off and hit the bed when my daughter came in begging, Papa please explain the meaning of this -
Bura Jo Dekhan Main Chala, Bura Naa Milya Koye !
Jo Munn Khoja Apnaa, To Mujhse Bura Naa Koye !!
By the time I was done explaining, I knew something was wrong.
- When my son refused to eat green vegetables, didn’t I say -if you eat this for a week I’ll buy you a new BeyBlade.
- Didn’t I say “yes” when the computer service guy asked “Sir, got some new games, should I copy on your laptop”.
- Didn’t I visit www.songs.pk to download the latest Bodyguard songs composed by the very talented Himesh Reshammiya and Pritam.
- Didn’t I say “yes” when the interior designer said, “Sir, if you insist on full bill – will have to pay service tax”.
- Didn’t I pay 500 to a temple agent to get a quicker access to God when I visited the Shani temple.
- Parents doing kids' homework or school projects to ensure that kids get better grades.
- Agar tu mujhe tera program(source code) dega toh main tujhe us ladki ka contact details dunga! via TaiyouSun
- Don't we say "God, please get my job done, 101 ka prasad chadhaunga" via amancool5
Before you start criticising the "system" , just think - Is Hamam mein sab nange hain !.
PS: If you got some more examples of corruption in every day life, feel free to tweet or comment, will be happy to include ( with credits ).